Commercial roofs protect raw roofing material with a sealed barrier sheet that locks out rain, wind, snow, and other elements of nature that can be damaging. This sheet, or membrane, helps funnel rain and meltwater into the building's gutters and drainage system and keeps it from saturating the surface of the roof, which can lead to rot and leakage. As this outer membrane is exposed to fluctuating temperatures and weather, from the hot summer sun to winter snow and hail, it can become brittle and develop cracks and blisters that allow the elements to reach the raw material beneath.
Once this barrier is compromised, these cracks and fissures can expand rapidly, allowing more rainwater and more damage. A single-ply membrane, as the name suggests, is applied to the roof in one layer, typically using a thermoplastic (becoming soft and pliant when heated) or thermoset (unaffected by heating/cooling) material. Single-ply roof protection systems are an extremely popular option for today's commercial buildings, as they are quick to install and offer increased weather protection, longevity of roofing materials, and significant energy savings for property owners.
First, our technicians will thoroughly clean your roof, typically by pressure washing, and allow it to dry thoroughly. It's essential to have this step handled by a licensed, insured professional. Improper application of a high-pressure water system will do more harm than good, especially around the seams and vent pipe openings in the original material, adding costly repairs to your project.
Improper drying will lead to mildew and rot from moisture sealed beneath the new membrane, which can become a roof-replacement issue. A properly prepared surface is critical to a successful application of a single-ply protective membrane.
Next, the roof is covered with rolls of Conklin's premium thermoplastic membrane, which are overlapped in the direction of water runoff (so rain flows over the seam, not into it) and then welded along the seams, creating an exceptionally durable, waterproof shield to protect your roof for years to come. Proper welds along both overlaps and flashings are vital to ensuring that the completed installation functions as a single, uncompromisable barrier, protecting the entire roof.
Commercial roofs usually include several openings where pipes, drains, vents, and HVAC hardware protrude through the roof's surface. Improperly applied seals around the base of these openings can compromise the entire roof seal, allowing moisture beneath the membrane; saturation; and corrosion and other damage not only to these building components, but to the materials, equipment, and inventory that your roof is supposed to protect as well. Again, this is work best done by a trained, experienced technician.
A properly sealed, white membrane roof coating also increases energy efficiency by reflecting away unwanted heat and lowers utility expenses for cooling and air conditioning.
Regular, professional roof maintenance is one of the most effective ways to avoid commercial roof leaks and cut back on one of the significant expenses of commercial property ownership.
Schedule a complete roof inspection from Duratec Roofing Solutions today and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your investments are safe and dry, no matter what the weather's like outside!
What Is the Single-Ply Membrane System?
Conklin’s Single-Ply Membrane System is a premium thermoplastic membrane system that offers outstanding reflectivity and is resistant to a broad range of chemicals, helping to extend the life of the roof. During installation, membrane rolls are overlapped and welded together to form an exceptionally durable, waterproof, energy-efficient shield that will deliver unsurpassed protection for years to come.
The advantages of Conklin’s Single-Ply Membrane System include:
- Stops leaks with superior waterproofing
- Provides first-rate resistance to wind and hail
- UL fire rated
- Increases energy efficiency and lowers utility expense
- Can be applied in all seasons and performs in all climates
- 20-year warranty
Low maintenance: Conklin Roofing Systems provide leak-free protection and exceptional energy savings for years. They maintain maximum reflectivity and energy savings because their surfaces are resistant to dirt and discoloration. Annual cleaning is all that’s needed to keep them white.
- Reduce cooling expense up to 30%: The average roof absorbs a large portion of the sun’s ultraviolet rays as heat. Conklin’s white Single-Ply Roofing System reflects 84% of the sun’s heat, cooling your building and saving you as much as 30% in air conditioning costs.
- Warranty program: Conklin’s optional warranty program offers both limited material and manufacturer-backed labor and material warranties. The program also includes a non-prorated material warranty.
- Eliminate future roof tear offs: Years from now, when it’s time to renew the superior protection of your Conklin roof, our Single-Ply Membrane Coating System will do the job. Conklin’s elastomeric coatings provide a new, cost-effective solution for repairing and preserving approved membranes, resulting in improved energy savings. In most cases, multiple recoats can be applied for as long as you own your building, saving you the expense of a new roof. With each recoat, our material warranty may also be extended.
- Recoup your costs: A great return on investment is another important reason to choose Conklin’s Single-Ply Membrane System. Many satisfied customers discover that a Conklin roof system lowers air conditioning costs and can pay for itself during the warranty period. Federal tax rebates, tax credits, and deductions may also offset your investment. In many cases, the government considers recoating a procedure that can be deducted as a maintenance cost. Check with your local utility company, tax advisor, and www.energystar.gov for additional details.
The next generation of high-performance, single-ply membrane roofing technology has arrived! This Elvaloy®-modified PVC provides rugged protection from the elements. Its unique chemical formulation is naturally fire-resistant, making Flexion XL an excellent choice for both new and re-roofing applications.
- Excellent flexibility and elongation creates ease of handling and welding
- Tremendous tear and puncture strength
- Kevlar® selvage edge provides powerful holding strength for plates and fasteners
- High-performance formulation ensures superior reflectivity along with chemical and dirt resistance
Call (706) 813-3924 or send us a message to get started.